In 1925, five valiant women possessing a simple and sincere faith in God embarked on a great task.
The city of Bayonne was sorely in need of a Catholic high school and the Sisters of St. Joseph
created a secondary institution which would provide for the intellectual and spiritual needs of
the city's youth. Through prayer and perseverance, the sisters secured buildings; and soon a
new educational trend came into being, a trend which was destined to grow to great proportions.
Holy Family opened its doors for the first time in September 1925 in the
Clark residence at 115 West Eighth Street. The first students, six boys and forty-three
girls, continued the commercial course they had begun at St. Mary's and graduated in June, 1926.
Enrollment rapidly increased and soon the property at 109 and 119 West Eighth Street was acquired
to meet the need. A four year program was initiated and the school, after being accredited,
graduated its first four-year class in June 1929.
As the years passed, the faculty incorporated
studies, activities, athletics and clubs to suit the individual
tastes of the students. In 1949, the last coeducational class graduated from
Holy Family. In 1954, the present building at 239
Avenue A was dedicated and shortly after the Marist Brothers began a school for
young men in the Eighth Street buildings. Since 1954 building projects have
expanded the Avenue A building so that now, in addition to the original fifteen classrooms,
auditorium/gymnasium and cafeteria, there are state of the art
science labs, computer labs, an art studio, a library
media center, health, guidance and other offices.
Holy Family Academy has emerged as an outstanding institution
of learning, meeting preferences for a cultural, intellectual,
and spiritual education for young women. Fully accredited
by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools,
Holy Family's curricular and co-curricular programs
help students prepare for schools of higher education
and successful careers.